Thursday, November 5, 2009

For California--and Maine

Yesterday, the State of Maine passed Question 1, a measure similar to Prop 8 denying same-sex couples the right to marry in their state. My reaction since I heard the news was just to ignore it; to even consider to take in the news felt like too much to handle.

I had forgotten what last November felt like: the tension, the queasiness, the disbelief and anger. I had forgotten that I could barely stand going to work at City Hall that week, keeping my mouth shut, and so thankful I could escape down to Santa Cruz that following weekend. I wonder if someone in Maine is in the same shock as I was; I wonder if they'll have a place to escape to and know they are loved.

I don't remember if it was after the election or after the start of this blog that myself or someone else (cousin?) found these earrings on Etsy: Rainbow over Sacramento, Shame on H8. The entire purchase price is donated by the artist to overturn Prop.8 in California. I couldn't afford them whenever I saw them first, but today I woke up thinking about Maine, feeling that pit in my stomach, and decided to buy them.

Purchasing power: I am still grappling with the concept of using capitalism as a mode through which to effect change. And yet, how can it not be when my money goes directly to funding a movement for change, a change for the acceptance of love.

The money may go towards funding California's freedom to marry as a result of this purchasing power, but, Maine, I bought these for you. I had forgotten what it felt like to have love lose out, and you were the reminder. I will wear these on my wedding days, legal and not, and remember.

Rainbow over Sacramento - Shame on H8
AlaineJewelry on Etsy

3 comments:

  1. What a moving sentiment--I've got prickles up my arms. It is a glimmer of hope that at least one of your wedding days will be "legal". xox, FF

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a sad day yesterday. I worked with MassEquality a lot who worked for Maine tooth and nail. They were all so sad yesterday.

    Although Washington passed the so-called "everything but marriage" act that give same-sex couples all the same rights as marriage without the title of marriage. (I remember a conversation a long time ago where this was something you proposed)

    I feel lucky to live in Massachusetts at times like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely. and thank you for sharing the etsy link too. I think I may be purchasing some of those. Such a sad day, still a sad week. But I have hope that things will change!

    ReplyDelete