Friday, June 5, 2009

Who Leads

When Alex and I got to Jitterbugs on Wednesday night, we were a few minutes late and the lines had already formed: boys on one side facing the girls on the other. We were there to watch a friend perform (Carla Viegas and the Big Swing Band), learn to dance the Lindy Hop, but also how to dance with each other.

With one of our biggest mutual loves being music and dancing, I have long dreamed of taking ballroom dance lessons with Alex. As wedding plans are slowly simmering, Jitterbugs seemed the perfect opportunity to start on the right foot, so to speak, towards dancing to Nina Simone and Patty Griffin, let alone the Glenn Miller Orchestra, on our big day. I just hadn't remembered that it would probably be a boys & girls set up!

I quickly looked at Alex: "Who's gonna lead?!"

Her reply: "You. You always lead."

Not the answer I was looking for. Yes, I do always lead, but that's because I've taken swing dance lessons before. I wanted to follow and do all the twirling bits! But, with the instructor already going through the '1-2-triple step-triple step,' I took a deep breath and high-tailed my high heels and low-cut shirt to the boys side.

After I answered the affirmative to the instructor's "Do you want to lead all night?" and the majority of the women danced graciously to my shabby lead, I was ready to take Alex for a spin on the dance floor. Unfortunately, everybody else was ready to jive as well and tonight was not their first night--leading or following.

We did, however, manage to get in a few rounds of the routine we had learned (separately) in the dance lessons and I do rather like holding Alex in my arms. I think we'll be back to Jitterbugs for a few more go-rounds--it was good fun, after all-- but I might also start looking into some other come-with-your-partner-and-learn-to-dance-only-with-her lessons as well. By the looks of it, we're not the only couple-to-be that books some dance lessons before their first dance.

And while part of me still wants to be twirled in my wedding dress when the big day comes, there is a little part of me that giggles inside at the girl in the dress doing the leading.

***
In terms of dance lessons that are same-sex friendly/oriented in London, I've found 3 so far. Anyone know of any more?
ACW Dance Studio
Pink Jukebox
Come Out Dancing

No comments:

Post a Comment